CAMBRIAN

       Cookie Policy

SOUTHERN RAILWAY WAGON KITS

The Southern Railway was formed in 1923, and comprised the South Eastern & Chatham Railway (SECR), the London, Brighton & South Coast Railway (LBSC), the London & South Western Railway (LSWR), plus the Isle of Wight Railways and a few minor companies. The main companies' works for wagon building were at Ashford (SECR), Lancing, near Worthing (LBSC) and Eastleigh (LSWR). Each had their entrenched way of doing things, leading to minor variations in batches of wagons of the same type built at more than one works. In later years, the LBSC works at Lancing tended to concentrate on carriage building, although in British Railways' time, "Sturgeon" ballast wagons were built there.
NOTE: pre-Grouping (LBSC,LSWR & SECR) wagon kits are on a separate page, here…

C6 SR 12ton 8 Plank Open Wagon Kit

SR 12ton open

A numerous type, our kit is for the 9' wheelbase unfitted design (D1379), with "Freighter" double-sided brakes. These were also used as engineers wagons – many were converted to carry cable drums for electrification work between 1950-70. However, after an accident in which an unfastened top door struck a passenger train, their use for spoil was banned.
NOTE: the kit represents an Ashford-built wagon. This works (unlike Eastleigh) did not bevel the top edge of the body sheeting (planks). When built and painted, the body sides were fairly smooth, with little evidence of plank edges until shrinkage took place.
See C96 below for 10ft. wheelbase version.

C7 SR 25ton Brake Van Kit

SR 25 ton brake van SR 25ton brake van

Above : LH ducket/equal plank type (SR early livery) ¦ RH ducket/unequal planks (BR Dept. livery)

Built between 1928 and 1948, some were still in use in the late '90s. The kit allows the construction of one of several body types: equal or unequal planked, left or right handed duckets.
Optional sandboxes. Kits produced from May 2010 have a single window on the end of the cabin for the "as-built" vans. Extra window frames for the SR/BR modifications are included.
See C95 below for 15 ton version.

C50 SR 5 plank Open (D1380) Wagon Kit

SR 10ton open

Built in 1930-31, these wagons used underframe parts from LSWR wagons and were known as "Rebuild Type 1" (D1380). There were 900 of these wagons built, 17' 6" over headstocks with a 9' 0" wheelbase. The kit has LSWR-style buffer bodies, plus axleboxes and doorsprings of the type used on these wagons.
A later version with similar bodywork had a 10' wheelbase, some of this type were built as BR D1/34
See also C107 below.

C55 SR 40ton Ballast Hopper Wagon Kit

SR 40 ton hopper SR 40 ton hopper

Built in 1928, this design was based on the LSWR hoppers and continued through two other SR versions to the BR Walrus & Sealion/Seacow. The bogies in the kit are one-piece frames and stretcher, with separate axleboxes. This early type had single door controls rather than the double-ended style found on all the later variations.

Requires javascript

Due to the wagons' tendency to sag in the middle, the full length centre door could become extremely difficult to operate, as the operating rod had a centre bearing which got tight when the hopper sagged.
Five of these and one of the later batches went to Northern Ireland, and one is now preserved by the RPSI. They were used during relaying of the NIR Bleach Green - Antrim line in 2000, although the above-mentioned door problem caused some difficulty.

Photos of a surviving wagon on the Wensleydale Railway at Leeming Bar…
 

C59 SR 13ton 8 plank Mineral Wagon Kit

SR 8 plank wagon

100 of these were built between 1945 and 1946. They were SR Diagram 1390. Another 1,850 were built for the LNER (their D192).
NOTE: kits supplied via model shops usually have a non-bottom door floor.

C67 SR 40ton Ballast Hopper Wagon Kit

SR 40 ton hopper

This is the third type with cast "AAR" bogies built in 1947. The slope of the hoppers had become steeper, apparently because the stone being quarried at Meldon did not "flow" as well as that being used when the 1928 hoppers were built. The BR Walrus (Kit C65) which followed was very similar, although these had GWR-style plate bogies which were somewhat less reliable.

C95 SR 15ton Brake Van Kit (D1581)

SR 15 ton brake vans

Fifty of these vans were built in 1934 for use on lightly-laid branch lines, and some spent their entire life on the same line. They had shallower solebars than the 25 ton vans (as this was where the scrap "ballast" was located), and RCH-style axleboxes. Two were cut down for use on the Canterbury & Whitstable line (perhaps used with the LSWR "grain" wagons mentioned under C79 above). Two more were sent to the Isle of Wight, where one remained in use until about 2000. Several others were early transfers to engineering use – with a large toolbox on one platform. One of these, DS455, was still to be seen in the Salisbury area about 1990.

C96 SR 10/12/13ton Open Kit (D1400)

SR 12 ton open wagon

The 10 foot wheelbase version of the standard SR 12ton open wagon. 1400 of these wagons were built between 1935 and 1937, using second-hand "worn-out" spoked wheels and rated to carry 10tons. Although the wheels seem to have been the only parts that weren't new, the wagons were referred to as "Rebuilds Type 4". By 1939, most had been fitted with new wheels (probably all of the 3-hole type) and were uprated to 13tons during the war years. During the BR era, they were rated at 12tons.
The kit has "one-piece" floor and solebars. The end and headstock are in one piece, with separate buffers.
Available now.

C103 SR "Borail" Bogie Rail Wagon Kit (D1598)

SR 'Borail' bogie rail wagon

These wagons were built from 1937, beginning with a batch of 25 wagons. 30 more followed in 1943, and 50 in 1945. The later ones had different buffers. The kit includes all three types of buffers: as built the first batch had SECR-type buffers, later ones had unusual Bulleid ones with rectangular buffer head spindles. The wagons were used to transport new rails which meant that they travelled to/from Workington or Scunthorpe. In BR days the wagons were used to transport used rail panels and sometimes other items, such as bridge girders. With "one-piece" diamond-framed bogies.
The picture above shows a wagon fitted with "Bulleid" buffers. The lashing rings are separate mouldings that can be put on as shown or upwards if chains are attached to them to secure a load.
Out now.

C104 SR "Borail" Bogie Rail Wagon Kit (D1599)

SR 'Borail' bogie rail wagon

Identical to the last batches of D1598, except for having cast bogies. Built in 1946 & 1948, there was a total of 69 wagons. Some had provision for "Robel" cranes to unload rails – these had been first used on 3 wagons of D1598 in 1937. These wagons and the earlier ones had wood planks fitted when their own steel floors became badly rusted (planking is not included in the kit). With "one-piece" cast bogies.
The picture below shows a wagon in SR engineers' livery.
Out now.

SR 'Borail' bogie rail wagon in ED livery

C107 SR 5 Plank Wagon Kit (D1375)

SR D1375 5 plank wagon

D1375 wagons were built between 1940 and 1948. However, the model is of the wagons with thinner body sheeting (planks) than normal, and thinner floor planks. These were built during 1943 & 1944 amounting to 850 wagons.
Another 400 wagons went to the LNER as their D178. To save metal, the headstocks were cut off square and the corner plates were narrower (as on LNER 6 plank opens). Two later batches (about 1100 wagons) also had the thinner planks, but had the more usual angled headstocks. These could be modelled using plastic, and hiding the join under the buffer body.
Vacuum brakes were fitted later to many of these wagons, with a second set of brake blocks. A number were used for ball clay traffic to Stoke-on-Trent.
With "one-piece" underframe. Includes etched tie bars, optional "Oleo" buffer bodies and vacuum brake cylinder. The top edge of the sides & ends are as near scale thickness as possible – about 0·5mm: the real planks were 1&frac2;".
Out now.
SR 5 plank wagon  SR 5 plank wagon

newhaven breakwater

LBSC wagons at sea: Newhaven breakwater in rough seas – 1920s or 30s: the two-storey defensive structure built in WWII at the landward end, just in front of the two figures, is absent. This WWII structure was demolished in the 1970s or 80s (?), although it outlived the West Quay/Breakwater branch, which closed in 1963 – see below for Newhaven c.1960 on YouTube.

Requires javascript

The track on the breakwater was flat-bottomed rail held down to the concrete by clips with occasional tiebars. There was a loop roughly where the bend in the breakwater is. The higher right-hand side is a covered way enabling access to the lighthouse without getting wet, but frequently lost parts of its concrete "roof" due to wave damage. A compound off to the left of the picture housed a concrete making facility used to cast blocks for repairing the breakwater. Materials for this were brought down the West Quay branch, including water – see Youtube video below.
Access to the breakwater (or the adjacent sandy beach on the left) is no longer allowed (causing much annoyance to Newhaven residents).

YouTube video of Steam at work in Newhaven, including the West Quay branch. Includes a train passing along the road section near the Hope Inn. One of the wagons is an SR 8 plank containing a large water tank (for concrete block making – see above) and an access ladder on the end.
A further 14 clips of various SR subjects can be accessed after the one below has been watched.