GWR WAGON KITS
C1 GWR/BR 10ton Dropside Ballast Wagon (Dia.P15/18/20, D1/566)
'STARFISH' - built from 1936, this design was also built by BR.
Includes D/C brake lever to make P15.
PROTOTYPE: about 500 wagons of GW P15 were built from 1936-38. They had Dean-Churchward brake gear & were numbered in the 80xxx & 100xxx series. P18 of 1939 & P20 of 1942 had Morton lever brakes, with brakeshoes on one side only. P18 nos. were 30800-999; P20 nos. 30416-500 & some 40xxx; and D1/566 nos. DB987000-079, also with Morton lever brakes. Many of the GWR wagons were used to carry loco sand from Swindon to loco sheds. Some wagons remained in use on BR until about 1980, or thereabouts. It is thought that the fishkind "Starfish" was never actually painted on the wagons.
(P15 shown in photo)
C2 GWR 10ton Loco Coal Wagon Kit (Dia.N30)
The final GWR design for small loco coal wagons introduced in 1935. Over 200 were built.
This type of wagon would have been used to
supply coal to small depots. One of these would carry enough coal to last about three days in a small pannier tank loco.
Includes correct 'left over right' brakegear.
C3 GWR Shunters' Truck (M4/M5)
Once commonly seen at many GWR stations, this is a small, but interesting vehicle, particularly if fitted with a suitable "shunter" figure. Includes D/C and lever brake, plus two sizes of buffer heads.
PROTOTYPE: these shunters' trucks were the last types built by the GWR. The M3 type of 1912-14 was almost identical except for vertical supports for the top handrail. M4 trucks were built during 1917-38. M5 from 1940 with Morton brake & 18" buffer heads. Trucks were used in some yards until the 1970s, particularly where space was tight e.g. Paddington (ECS), & at Fowey (Ml until at least 1985). Some remained in use well into the diesel era to operate track circuits,
coupled to '08' diesel shunters, e.g. at Paddington.The BR 'TOPS' codes included shunters' trucks, but these may not have been carried (ZSP/R/W/X). Trucks were allocated to specific yards, e.g. Bristol M4 41052, Laira M4 41046, M5 41883, Worcester M5 41823. (See History of GW Wagons, for list) Both M4 & M5 had instanter couplings, on the model it may be convenient to fit a scale type at one end & a Hornby one at the other. Some trucks had 3-hole wheels.
C4 GWR 18ton Chaired Sleeper Wagon Kit (Dia.T12/13)
Includes D/C brake lever (T12) and lever brake (T13).
See BR Departmental page for "Taunton Concrete" kit.
PROTOTYPE: these wagons were very similar to the 1894 T1 design. 18 wagons to Dia. T12 were built In 1938, with Dean-Churchward brakes. The final 6 wagons of T13 built during 1942-44, had lever brakes. They were used to carry chaired sleepers (loaded lengthwise) from the depot at Hayes. Sometimes plain timbers for points were carried. During the 1960s, the use of pre-assembled track panels made these wagons redundant. They were fitted with wooden sides and floors and used to carry concrete products from the works at Taunton, as their low floor made them easy to unload. Two of these remained in use on the Southern Region until at least the mid 1980s. DW100682 was air-piped and coded ZRW (Stores vehicle-concrete products). A number of these wagons are preserved e.g. West Somerset & Bluebell Railways.
C5 GWR 6ton Crane & Match Truck
Includes specially imported fine chain. The toolbox lids can be modelled in the open position.
The jib can be modelling for travelling or lifting. Choice of semi-enclosed / enclosed (BR) gear wheels. The crane requires 12mm 10 spoke wheels and the match truck 12mm 8 spoke wheels.
PROTOTYPE: this type of crane was used by the GWR from the end of the 19th century. There were variations in the design, earlier ones having ropes and pulleys to raise the jib. A Swindon drawing shows Dean-Churchward brake-gear, but we have not seen photographic evidence of this. The cranes were used at small goods yards that didn't have a suitable yard crane. Whether they travelled to the yard with the loaded/empty wagons, or were sent in advance isn't known, as photographs are rare. They were also used at P.W. depots, where the last of them lasted into the 1980s (e,g, Hereford). Known locations were Aberystwyth, Hatton, Hereford, Machynlleth, Old Oak Common,
Paddington, Pilning and Yate.
Known numbers are 237, 240, 242, 244, 249, 250, 443, 445, 446 & 454. The match truck carried the same number, but in BR days the pairing was mixed, perhaps due to wagons being scrapped. There are photos in 'A Pictorial Record of GW Wagons' by J.H. Russell (OPC 1971/5). There is a photo of a 10ton hand crane working at Staverton Bridge in 'The Country Railway' by D. St.John Thomas (D & C 1975 + later reprint). Dimensions of this kit were taken from the crane on the Dean Forest Railway, and the match truck on the West Somerset Railway, and from drawings loaned by D. Hyde (who also loaned photos).
C48 GWR Loriot W (G41 / BR D.900-902) Engineers' well wagon
Unusual design of well wagons used by the Permanent Way Dept. Includes "buffing struts" (not shown).
PROTOTYPE: there were two of the GWR wagons which were a slightly altered version of the G.27 wagons built in 1931 (Nos. 41987 & 88). The original wagons had the sloped part of the end plates continued down to the floor, rather than the "cranked' style of the later wagons. The G.27 wagons also had D/C brake levers. Modelling these wagons requires only altering the end plates with plasticard strip & fitting D/C levers (not supplied). The G.41 wagons had lever brakes & were built in 1944 (No. 100701) & 1948 (No. 100703). A similar wagon from 1906 can be seen on the www.ingenious.org.uk (NRM) web site – "Canadian wagon" (Picture number:1997-7397_DY_1447 – it's the load that's Canadian).
The wagons built by British Railways were built in 4 batches. D.2/900 - DB998000-002 in 1949, DB998003-005 in 1951; and D.2/902 - DB998007-010 in 1957 and DB998011-012 in 1958. The two BR diagrams are said to refer to whether there were buffing struts or not. Some of the BR wagons certainly had brackets for these, but were photographed without the struts. The load that could be carried was 20tons (distributed) or steam rollers/traction engines up to 15tons. (The reduced load without struts is unreadable on the GWR drawing). The GWR wagons would have carried the wire rope style of excavator (a photo shows one of these tracked diggers with a wooden 'body' and the arm/bucket resting on a pile of sleepers on the end platform). BR wagons in later years carried hydraulically operated diggers & bulldozers such as Drotts (bulldozer / front loader) and 360° diggers of the Hymac type (580C). At least two wagons (e.g. DB998010) had extra posts fitted on one platform to prevent sideways movement of the digger arm. DB998001/002 (ZXP) and DB998007/009 (ZVP) survived beyond 1994, and may have been used after 2000.
A Loriot loaded with a Dapol (ex-Airfix) JCB. A tracked excavator such as a Hymac or Drott would be a more typical load.
Find photos of the prototype here:
Loriot detail >
C64 GWR 40ton Bogie Loco Coal Wagon Kit
Reissue of our kit for the bogie loco coal wagon. N14 type, but can be modified to the other types fairly easily. Used mainly to take coal to larger loco depots, although were used to take coal to the gasworks at Kingswear. Although dating from the early 1900s, they lingered on until the 1950s. Includes parts for different styles of Dean-Churchward brakegear.
With "one-piece" bogies.
C97 GWR 12ton Steel Open Wagon Kit
50 steel-bodied open wagons were built in 1934 to diagram O30. They had wood floors and wood-lined doors. Curiously, they had diagonal strapping that was usually only found on wood-bodied wagons. The kit has a "one-piece" underframe.
C110 GWR Ballast Hopper Wagon Kit
250 wagons were built between 1945 and 1948 to diagram P22. A further 50 were built in 1951 for British Railways. The wagons were disliked by railwaymen as they had a bar below the solebar to operate the doors. This made discharging and closing the doors difficult and also meant standing beside the wagon, which could be next to a running line.
The kit will have its own "one-piece" underframe, which will include "V" hangers, end plates and the lower part of the hopper (excluding the door part at the bottom). The upper part of the hopper will have the side ribs moulded on, and will sit on top of the underframe/lower hopper section. The end ribs will be separate (they slope the wrong way to come out of the mould if made as part of the hopper.
Not yet available. Mould blanks for the underframe have been made (10/01/13).
The main parts of the kit will probably look like this (as described above).
C100 Cambrian Railways 2 Plank Dropside Wagon Kit
The 2 plank wagon was a common sight in Cambrian Railways trains, and there were several hundred of these in service. They were used for a variety of purposes, such as timber, barrels and slate, the dropsides would have made loading/unloading the latter much easier (and reducing the chance of breakages). Wagons carrying slates may well have travelled widely off the Cambrian Railways system. Loading points for slates included Minffordd on the Festiniog Railway, & the Talyllyn Railway at Tywyn (Towyn, in Cam Rys** days) Sheets (tarpaulins) were often used over goods that needed protection from rain (It's mid-Wales, remember). There were lashing points on the solebars, and on the ends between the buffers & the stanchions. In the GWR period, the wagons were used for Permanent Way materials, and some had their doors fixed shut by corner plates. Similar wagons were used by contractors whilst building railways.
** Those having read the anecdote about the woman who remarked that Cam Rys must be a wealthy man to own so many wagons, might like to refer to the similar story of lineside observation, quoted on our Narrow Gauges pictures page of Corsica > here… (Includes back link to here.)
Includes optional spacers for the buffer bodies, which fit on the headstock behind the back of the buffer body. It is not known how many wagons had these, or when they were fitted (see left-hand picture below). Possibly these were to reduce the slack in the couplings (by the buffer length being increased), to reduce damage when carrying slates.
Current status: available now. Here's a pre-production model. The left-hand picture shows the buffers with spacers.
C111 Cambrian Railways 4 Plank Wagon Kit
With optional sheet rail. Some wagons seem to have been used to transport lime from the quarries south west of Oswestry. Other wagons without the sheet rail appear to have been used to carry timber (photo of Sands Siding, Aberdovey), but no doubt other loads were also carried. The sheet rail support and half-round plate on the top end planks will be etched brass components.
Not yet available. Uses the same underframe as C100. Body tooling is complete and the etching has been ordered (13/04/13). Here's a pre-production model, without the sheet rail. This is the side without brakes, hence no brake lever or "V" hanger. This kit, and C100 above, have a pair of solebars – one with a "V" hanger for the braked side, and one without for the unbraked side.
Photos of prototypes — (our photos)